Monday 16 May 2011

Previous works : The material of choice (gunpla sheet)

In my last post I talked about my earliest works made from epoxy putty. It was fun but unsuitable for me, I have to find something else to work with. I considered various kinds of materials such as wood, acrylic and plastic. It is purely by chance that I happened upon this certain kind of plastic known commonly in model kit circles as "gunpla sheet".

Gunpla sheet
Gunpla sheet, in the simplest words, is a portmanteau of "Gundam plastic". The very material that the popular Gundam model kits are made from, available in single sheets of various thickness starting from 0.3mm all the way up to 3mm. At least those are the thickness my regular hobby shop stocks.




Here we have my very first project made from gunpla sheet, a pair of twin blades. It is through this pair that I finally started on my journey towards serious prop making. My mentor, Sam, is an accomplished master of gunpla kits and his guidance is very much welcomed, however harsh it may be sometimes. It is also due to his influence that I constantly strive towards creating an ever better prop.

Not very long after, the buster sword project was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment