Monday 25 April 2011

Project : Original Variant - Raising Heart Force Blade form (Posing and Weight)

While the buster sword is broad and a bit short, this project experiments with material rigidity. The entire sword is over 30cm long and I want to see how it can hold up. My swords are not of a monolithic design, therefore weight is an issue when joining the hilt to the blade itself.

The blade itself is stiff and does not wrap under its own weight. To achieve this, I used a layered piece instead of a thick piece of pla-plate on its own. I find that a single thick piece has a tendency to be less rigid toward the tip of the blade and is good up to 15cm personally. This holds true only for thickness of 0.5mm and 1mm pla-plates which I commonly uses. Recently I have seen 2mm and 3mm thick pla-plate popping up at the regular store where I get my supplies so I might test them out, time permitting.

I will do up a short post on my material experiments if there is interest.

Shia in an alter Nanoha costume with Raising Heart Force Blade

As we can see from the photo, the blade should be able to be pose regularly in most positions without much of a weight issue.

Competition photo
Last I will leave you with a shot for a photo competition I took part some years back but sadly didn't get into the top 10.

Here we come to the end of this series of posts for this project, thank you for viewing !

No comments:

Post a Comment